Thursday 20 March 2014

When Kushwant and RK went to watch a Blue film



Kushwant Singh Writes: 

I find the hue and cry made by our media over some members of a legislative assembly caught watching blue film in the assembly unnecessary. It is not a crime to watch dirty films; millions over the world watch them. In many five star hotels in Germany  they are shown on TV in bedrooms. In Hawaii, there in a locality with cinema houses devoted entirely to screening of such films which they show to their male guests at cocktail parties. It seems to be a fetish for repressed males. And even males soon get bored watching them. They descend to watching live sex shows in basements of many European airports.

Once while attending a writers conference at Hawaii the only participant I knew was RK Narayan. He was a saintly sort of person, not great company for the likes of me. He was a strict vegetarian. In the evening he would buy a carton of dahi and go from café to café looking for plain boiled rice. He insisted I keep him company. One evening I tried to shake him off with the excuse that I wanted to see a blue film.“I come along with you,” he announced. So we went to a locality where there were a few cinemas showing blue films. After an hour I got bored. So did he. We came out and resumed our search for dahi-chaawal and a place where I could also get a meal of fried fish.

 I have not been able to find out why sexy films are called blue films. Why not red, yellow or green? If any reader knows the answer I will be grateful if he or she enlightens me. 


Tweet:  : Why are called . Why not red, yellow or green? ... read on … … …

No comments:

Post a Comment